The Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC) as established under the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission Act 1997 (Act 538) to regulate the provision of urban water and electricity utility services in the country. The Commission’s key mandates among others are:
- To examine and approve rates chargeable for provision of utility services.
- To protect the interest of consumers and providers of utility services.
- To monitor standards of performance for provision of services.
- To initiate and conduct investigations into standards of quality of service.
To aid in a successful delivery of its mandate, the Commission has opened six (6) regional offices across the country to bring to the doorstep of the consumer the operations of PURC. These regional offices are directly under the supervision of the Directorate of Regional Operations of the Commission.
By way of harmonizing and coordinating the operations of all Regional Offices, the Regional Operations Directorate occasionally organises the regional office teams to deliberate and agree on issues for a better customer service delivery. One of such meetings was organised where members of the Directorate converged at the Miklin Hotel in Kumasi from 19th to 22nd of July, 2018.
Issues discussed among others were:
- Presentations of activities by various Regions.
- Presentation on Formal Hearing procedures.
- Presentation on Best accounting practices for better financial management at the Regional Offices.
- Presentation on PR activities and the way forward.
- Discussion and harmonization of the District Offices Customer Service Centers monitoring criteria.
- Development of Consumer Complaints management standard operating procedure.
In attendance were the Executive Secretary of the Commission, Mrs. Mami Dufie Ofori, Director of Regional Operations, Alhaji Jabaru Abukari, Head of Formal Hearing secretariat, Ms. Catherine Hodasi, Ag. Head of Public Relations and External Affairs, Mr. Bawah Munkaila, Senior Manager for Consumer Complaints and Data Analysis, Mr. Leaon Acquaye, Senior Manager for Consumer Services and Monitoring, Mr. Edmund Kwaku Tufour, Senior Finance Manager, Mr. Godfred Odoom, Principal Regional Finance and Administration Manager, Mr. Isaac Assan and all Regional Managers and their teams.
The Retreat in Pictures
|The Executive Secretary Addressing the||A Section of Participants Seated|