ACCESS TO INFORMATION UNDER THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION LAW
The Right to Information Act, 2019 (ACT 989) was passed by the Parliament of Ghana in 2019 in satisfaction of the constitutional right of persons to access information held by public institutions.
The Commission is committed to government’s effort to enhance transparency and accountability in public affairs so as to empower the citizenry.
RTI implementation plans and procedures of the Commission are guided by five fundamental principles relevant to access to information. These principles are:
- legal guarantees of access to information
- proactive disclosure
- access to information implementation and procedures
- adherence to best international standards and respect for individuals
- right to privacy.
In accordance with Section 18 of the RTI Act, 2019, application to access information within the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission can be made in writing or orally.
Oral applications shall be reduced into writing by the RTI Officer and endorsed by the Applicant in accordance with the law.
Written applications shall:
- be addressed to the Commission,
- contain sufficient description or particulars to enable the information to be easily identified,
- indicate the form and manner of access required,
- state the capacity of the applicant to the satisfaction of the information officer to whom the application is made, if the application is made on behalf of another person.
- state the name of the applicant, an address to which a communication or notice can be sent,
- provide identification of the applicant, and
- be signed by the applicant.
Applicants seeking information under the law are advised to complete the RTI form.
Click here to download the form and forward the filled-out form to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Commission’s RTI Officer on 0261831198 / 0552138721
The Right to Information Office is located at the Commission’s Head Office Annex, in the Corporate and Public Affairs Directorate located on the second floor of GNAT Heights Building on Independence Avenue, Ridge, Accra